火曜日, 2月 01, 2005

tastes like underpants


squid
Originally uploaded by freebeets.

Hidemi took me to see the shins in Harajuku last night for my birthday. It was an amazing show, and they delivered on their promise “to rock our socks off” since it was their first time in Japan. They played a great set and a cover of the magnetic fields strange powers. The opening band was this Japanese band the sparta locals. They rocked pretty hard too. After the show we sat on a bench and ate a dried squid. I’d been saying to Hidemi that I wanted to try one, or at least buy one and mount it in a shadowbox or something. She said that they taste like underwear so I finally went and chewed on one. Smells funky, but I guess it tastes ok. Way more like underwear than chicken, thats for sure.
On the topic of birthdays, I got a sweet email from mum, who reminded me of my 4th birthday... It was 1977 and 50 ft of snow (thats like 200 meters for you canadians) fell on Buffalo. Nobody could come to my party, but the show went on. Mum made the cake that I requested-purple with blue frosting, and we had the cats wear hats and join us at the table for ice cream. I dont remember any of it, but it sounds like a swingin party.
In other news, we went to a flea market last weekend in Tsurumi. It was held at a Velo track, so all the patrons were so broke. The crowd was one of the funkiest Ive seen-like the otb, but kind of like caricatures of down on your luck gamblers. 70’s trench coats and gold glasses, 20 somethings dressed in american “street gear”, limpers, spitters and drunks. Miles from your downtown moneybags shopping and shiny.
Im psyched about the velo though, and thinking I should get a track bike and see if I can get myself some track time

2 Comments:

Anonymous 匿名 said...

hey matt happy b-day miss you lots love always your baby cuz katy

12:29 午後  
Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

I used to say it tastes like a cab driver's crotch...but underpants, yeah, that's better. Probably gets fewer "wtf" looks.

12:34 午後  

コメントを投稿

<< Home