日曜日, 9月 12, 2004

"service"

So I rehearsed some lines for going to the barber and went yesterday. I learned how to say (though dont ask me now...) "I would like a haircut, same style, but a little shorter". I walked into a neighborhood barber with an old man and his wife working and tried my lines. They of course asked all kinds of questions and said lots of things I didnt understand, so I said I dont speak Japanese. Everyone there kind of giggled and I was so on display in the chair... Everything was mega 50's barbershop. there was a hairdryer that fits on your head like a brain reading device on a long robotic arm on the ceiling mixed with digital sterilizers, flatscreen television and straight razors. I wondered if the old people were skinjobs. Maybe ridley scott scouted barbershops when writing bladerunner...
The old man came over to me and kind of tickled my ear and said something in Japanese that I didnt get. He said "eh seriviceh" so I just said "hai" and nodded. His wife put on a face mask and leaned my chair back...
Then she started shaving my ears with this tiny little straight razor. I guess thats eh serivice. The old man took over and cut my hair. His mannerisms were really strange, really dramatic. He remided me of a symphony conductor. He raised his arms and kind of shook them to get his sleeve right then moved in for the cut. When he was done he syled it with this super gay 80's curve up front. I of course said good, good good and moused it up as soon as I left. I think Im going to start going there for a weekly straight razor shave though. face, not ehs.
Went to see MOMUS last night with Mi. It was a great show. the venue was about the size of some bedrooms Ive had in the states, and was packed with all kinds of Japanese hipsters. The Japanese have style. People have the cojones to dress like elvis, or a bunny rabbit or whatever. Its amazing. The place smelled like a show back home with the smoke, sweat and stale drink, but everyone was videotaping with cellphones. It was like a heavy metal show with lighters from the future.
I realized that Im a long way from dirt roads, frozen pipes and moose in the yard... seemed a lot further than 6,525 miles
Im now a fishitarian. I just dont think I can do it and eat out or stress out at the supermarket. Besides, if theres ever a place to go out for sushi Im here. Mi and I went out to eat in Shibuya after the show. She sat by the window on the tenth floor with big city at night and lights behind her. It was pretty amazing