木曜日, 9月 09, 2004

Tsunamis, typhoons and train jumpers


Tomorrow were going to have an earthquake drill, unless, school is cancelled because of the typhoon... There was a typhoon last night that did some good damage in a different part of Japan.
I found that I had left my keys on my desk after I pedaled all the way home today, but phoned a coworker who lives nearby to grab them for me. While I was on the phone I found somebody elses keys...
I waited for him on the steps outside his building and got yelled at by the owners(?) of the "massage" parlour in the same building. When he showed up he told me about his morning commute- somebody jumped in front of the train. He was alive, but barely when they carted him right him. He said the guy was making all kinds of "animal sounds". It freaked him out and said he almost passed out...
I guess its a pretty common thing to do here. People work so many hours that they just lose it. You can see company men in their suits and cases at 9 pm. People do some serious hours here... Ahh the life of a teacher doesnt seem so bad!